Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Obama Should Have Kept His Mouth Shut, Twice

I don't often write stuff that is supposed to be smart but I guess I'll suppress my comedic thoughts for a bit.

If you haven't heard of the story (you live in a cave) here's a quick run down: A prominent professor returns home with his driver, both men are African American, and has problems getting into his house. After trying several times to get in the front and back door the professor and his driver shoulder their way through the door. A neighbor or passerby witnesses all this and calls the police to report a possible break in. When the white police officer arrives to investigate he has words with the professor and ultimately ends up arresting him.

The exchange between the two is disputed with the officer saying the professor was uncooperative while the professor says he was. That is all "he said, she said" at this point. Aside from that President Obama came out and said that the police department "acted stupidly" and admitted he may be biased as the professor is a friend of his.

In my opinion Obama acted stupidly for making a biased opinion, especially when he was fully unaware of the facts. Mary Mitchell of the SunTimes, who I rarely agree with and matter of factly think 99% of her articles are complete trash, wrote two articles that I mostly agree with (article 1 here and article 2 here). Once again I said mostly agree so don't read into it too much. The key point in both her articles though that I 100% agree with is that she says both sides overreacted. That's what this whole event is including the President, who, like I said should have kept his mouth shut.

No comments: