Thursday, April 16, 2009

What Would Jesus Buy?-Not This

Last week I remembered I had 4 movies from Netflix sitting on my dresser and decided to return them after about a month of sitting there. The thing is I didn't remember to update my Queue so instead of getting the Shield like I wanted I received The Brave One (sucked), Capturing The Friedman's (looks decent), and What Would Jesus Buy?

The cover of What Would Jesus Buy? should say-"Not This Shit." The whole point of Reverend Billy and The Stop Shopping Choir is to stop the Shopocalypse. I can't make that bullshit up. They spend the month before Christmas traveling around the country to Walmart, Starbucks, Mall of America, and other places to try and get people out of their materialistic ways. Now I respect the message they're trying to convey but their methods and antics are annoying. They end up at Walmart headquarters trying to exorcise the giant sign outside. The dramatic ending (and yes I AM ruining it for you) takes place at Disney World where they try to break the ultimate stranglehold on America. It's a dramatic build up as the entire movie has Disney-like fonts when titles or captions are rolled on screen. Reverend Billy gets arrested and a cop/security guard tells him "this isn't private property, they can do whatever they want to you here" which makes you almost beg for a Jack Bauer style torture.

Here's a clip from their visit to Chicago on the WGN news (if you can call it news):

No comments: